Monday, February 9, 2015

Review: City of Mask by Mary Hoffman

So I'm back! It's been a while, hasn't it? Sorry about that. But I'm here and anyways I've been busy. Just check out my own blog, (Almost) Completely Mad to see that!

Today I want to share with you a review of City of Masks. Over the next few days/weeks I want to share my reviews for the whole series. So here we go!


Blurb: Lucien is seriously ill but his life is transformed when an old Italian notebook gives him the power to become a stravagante, a time traveller with access to
16th century Italy. He wakes up in Bellezza (Venice) during carnival time and meets Arianna, a girl his own age who is disguised as a boy in the hope of being selected as one of the Duchessa's mandoliers. Arianna gives Lucien her boy's clothing and he is selected as a mandolier himself, becoming a friend of fellow-stravagante Rodolfo, the Duchessa's lover, and saving the Duchessa's life when she is threatened by an assassin hired by the powerful di Chimici family. For state occasions the Duchessa uses her maid Giuliana as a body-double but Guiliana commits the fatal mistake of revealing the secret to her fiance Enrico and a sequence of devastating consequences unravels. Meanwhile Lucien has met the original stravagante, the Elizabethan alchemist William Dethridge, and he begins to understand that he may be called to follow in his footsteps. via Goodreads

Romance: 4 out of 5 | There was some. Quite a bit actually, but nothing annoying or bad. It wasn't terrible stuff. No worries there!

Violence:  4 out of 5 | Sorry, yes there is quite a lot. People get killed. People die. There are plots. But still nothing bad as fantasy goes. Anyone can bare this stuff.

Language: 1 out of 5 | No idea! I didn't pay attention. So there mustn't have been anything really that terrible!

Age: 11+ | Some things younger people wouldn't like. But still great for all teens. I'd say it's a teens book more than anything.

Rating: 4 out of 5 | Good

My Thoughts: The storyline was amazing, it was well thought up and planned. I really liked the way it played out.

I found that quite of a lot of the huge surprises were quite predictable, but that didn't make them any less enjoyable.

The ending was shocking! I didn't really expect it was end like that. It was a good ending though, but it left off with a lot of questions. So I have simply have to read the next book.

All in all, it was well worth the read and I really enjoyed it.

There you have it! My review of City of Masks. Look out for my review of City of Stars soon.

Bryleigh: my story will come soon. Sorry about that. I've just not had the time to sit down and write such things yet. I'll do it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love getting comments, and we will always answer them!